Purbeck House was designed by the architect Walter Crickmay with George Burt and built by William Masters Hardy.
This extraordinary house was described as 'Scottish Barional'. It has an air of rugged permanence. The foundation stone was laid by George Burt's wife, Elizabeth on December 27th 1875. A Queen Victoria penny from 1875 and a roman coin from the Emperor Vaspasian found during the demolition of the Billingsgate Fish Market the year before were laid beneath the stone.
The porch is of white Cornish granite and the walls are faced with variegated granite chippings, waste material from the steps of the Albert Memorial in Hyde Park, the firm had recently constructed the base of that monument.
GB - 1875 - 'Know Thyself'
The gazbo with the copper thistle was originally designed to sit on top of the octagonal tower, but was replaced by the gilded flying fish (insert) from the Billingsgate Fish Market. The fish now sits on a chimney top at Newton Manor.
In the stable yard is a reproduction of a portion of the Parthenon frieze.
An early form of security written in stone.
click to return to People