Men of influence and power who made Swanage their home.
The Revd. Andrew Bell was appointed Rector of Swanage in 1801. He introduced his 'Madras System' of education to the town, education was one of his passions. After seeing 2 young girls doing the work of a donkey, pushing round the spack of the capstan hauling a quarr cart to the surface loaded with stone, he determined to introduce some sort of industry to help allivate the poverty of some of his parishioners. The Swanage straw plait industry was the result.
Revd. Andrew Bell
He was only here until 1809, but did much good in the town. Bell Street at Herston was named in his honour .
Bell Street c.1875
Sir John Charles Robinson CB, FSA 1824-1913
Bishop's Walk, The Close, Salisbury, Wiltshire. Home of William Bird Brodie.
Brodie was M.P. for Salisbury in Wiltshire from 1833 until 1844. He was also a banker and newspaper proprietor. In the mid 1840's he and his brother were made bankrupt.
Swanage Rates Book of 1851 shows the name 'Brodie' indicating he moved to Swanage in that year, he and his family were recorded in the 1851 census living at the Brewery House. After the fire at the Brewery in 1854, Brodie and his family moved to Marine Villas, where he lived until he died in 1863. He is buried in Northbrook Cemetery. As are his wife, his son, and one daughter.
William Bird Brodie M.P. 1780-1863
Robinson was art advisor to the Kensington Museum (later the V&A) and he became Queen Victoria's surveyor of pictures from 1882 to 1901 .
Newton Manor 2010
Engraving of Newton Manor c.1882
Robinson aquired Newton Manor in 1875 and transformed the house. At first Robinson and Burt were on friendly terms, but gradually as Robinson acquired more property, they became bitter rivals .
Return to people page